Friday 27 April 2012

Yip Yip

"Yip Yip"
 These were the words I would say to my first dog Ryly-May, a Groenendael Belgian Shepard. As I said them, I was preparing myself for a race that would throw my legs into overdrive trying to keep up with her. As I grew older it became a common saying throughout our walks/runs.  I would surprise her and try and get three steps ahead before she knew it was a race. We raced against each other until she passed away 3 years ago, in the end I started to win a little bit more, but she could still hold me off most days.
 This was the point where I started to enjoy running, I realized it was the one solid means of tiring out my highly active shepard. At the same time, we grew to be great friends throughout our running adventures and races.

In January, my wife and I decided to get another Groenendael, he's 3 months now, and starting to get his legs beneath him. This morning, we were out on the trail. Jax just hit 3 months, he's growing by the minute. We walked the same 4km route every morning, he enjoys sniffing and running through the trees. Not yet old enough to run far, but we have had a few 100m dash's. We hit the forest leading to our main path back home, surrounded by high trees and a rocky path ahead I yelled "Yip Yip!" I started bursting ahead, within 10 seconds I thought I'd lost him and was about to slow down, as I saw him to my left about to pass me, it was as if Ryly-May was there racing, I pushed again for another 10 seconds and slowed.

What a great sense of nostalgia, and bonding in such a short time, awesome.


Enjoy the outdoors!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment