Thursday 15 May 2014

My Training For Next Week's Marathon Just Started

There's something about the Ottawa Marathon that keeps me giddy like a schoolboy about racing. Perhaps it's because it's my main marathon, my longtime bq race, my first marathon, or maybe it's because it's my hometown course. It's certainly the course I feel most comfortable on, I know it like so many of my routine training routes.

I keep pushing and trying to learn how to be the best of me. I ran the Boston Marathon on Easter Weekend, I had one last workout prior to the race. I may have pushed myself right to the edge.
Vibrams, warm day. AND a "Hells Ya, I'm confident for Beantown" workout. 10 minutes 1/2 pace (3:40) 5 minutes 10k pace (3:30) 2.5 minutes 5k pace (3:17-3:20) and 20 minutes marathon pace (3:45-3:55) yeah...I had never finished it before that day. I was proud, confident and hurting good.

Turns out the workout was great for my confidence and bad for my Achilles. I managed Boston and have been off my legs ever since. 3 weeks. That's was until 2 days ago when my treatment on the calf started to work.(straight leg stretch, art, the stick, roller, self massage)
It's like staring at a dripping tap waiting for this thing to loosen up, losing my mind. But I'm finally lacing up, full addict style.

I'm so grateful to be able to run. I missed it. I haven't had an injury in a long time that's forced me to sit it out so long.

Now I take the chance on Ottawa. How can I not? I'm super competitive, I've run it since 06' and how would I feel if I stayed at home and let the race happen without me. I'm about 65-70% right now. I'm hopeful that will get me through.

Mentally once that race starts, I'm Carey Price. (See 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Montreal Canadiens beat Boston Bruins) just hoping I can stay that long for 26.2 miles. Ha ha ha! 

Let ya know how it goes. Wish me luck!

Here's to you and Carey Price.
#beastmode,


D

No comments:

Post a Comment