Wednesday 30 October 2013

Tuning In To Your Body

I was intrigued while listening to Lanni Marchant's interview on the IRun Show after her Canadian Record breaking run in Toronto last weekend. She spoke of surging from her training mate Krista Duchene at 30/32KM. They both had a great interview about beating the 28 year old Canadian marathon record. (Lanni's Interview)
As I resonate about my racing experiences, I recollect those late surges, fast starts, and blow ups. 
I'm able to think about all of those questions that must pass through a runners mind when they're toeing the line contemplating their plan. What finish time is too slow or fast? How fast do I start? How do I break the race down?
Besides the many uncontrollable things about a race. (I.e. stomach, cramping, ceasing, weather, etc.) There are a lot of things that are completely in your control. Like pace, training, nutrition, mental fortitude among other things. 

Every runner comes into a race with a plan, be it big or small. It could be "I just want to finish" or “I want to achieve a personal best." I think the number one thing that determines how this plan will unravel is how well that runner knows their body. This comes through training, and tuning in. When I enter a race I'm on the “I want to achieve a personal best" most occasions. I'm the guy who can't just run, and I usually go all out. I think this is part of being 1 of 6 brothers while growing up, I'm inherently competitive. 

In my experience, if I've done the hard work. Be it, speed, tempo, long runs, and I like to include some hills in there. I've only got to worry about tuning in. It allows me to understand where the limits are. I can begin a race and push for a couple of km above race pace, then settle in. From there I can hang around race pace and gauge how my body feels in terms of maybe dropping the hammer the last few kilometers, or staying with the runner that just passed me to see if I can re-pass them later in the game. That's why it's so important to learn your limits. It will allow you to know when you may have a little more or the opposite, when you just can't do it. It will be the difference between a mediocre race, a blow up, or a PB.  

KEYS to mental Tuning: 

1) Training You only get better the more you work at it! I like speed and pace work to mock racing. 

2) Blow up Workout/Race It sucks, worst possible thing. I've been in races where I had to grit out the last 20 even 30KM after blowing up... it's debilitating. The amount you learn from it invaluable. You'll get much better at understanding where you're at physically, and at gritting it out those last few. You'll know how far you can push, because you've been to the bottom.   

3) Time More experiences, the more races, the more pace workouts, all in good time.

4) Right Side of the Bed Some days are better than others. I think everyone can have a sh*tty day. From NHL players to Haile Gebrselassie to you and me my friend.  

Here's to you and tuning in! 


D  




No comments:

Post a Comment